5 Tips to go From RR to R & R
How are you feeling? Are you exhausted? Are you in need of a break? Are you Running Ragged or are you bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready to take on the world, Rested & Refreshed? Last week, I took a break. The first vacation I have had in over a year and a half. I took on some new challenges this past year that prevented me from getting away without distraction, and as a Realtor, it’s difficult to completely “check out”. However, I knew it was way overdue. I knew I needed to recharge so I could come back with a fresh mindset and a new vigor and passion for my work.
Here are 5 tips to go from RR to R & R:
- Get away. I went to the beach but not everyone can go out of state and you don’t always need to spend vacation kind of money. Getting away can be as simple as house sitting for a friend while they’re gone. It will give you a change of scenery and you can pretend you’re in another world.
- Get in nature. When you can take a hike in a beautiful setting or walk through a nature park, listen to the sounds around you, take in the sights. Nature is an amazing thing. It can calm your spirit and destress you in a very organic way.
- Set auto-responders. Create an “out of office” greeting on your voice mail and an auto-responder for all emails. Let people know when to expect a response and/or tell them who they can contact in your absence. You don’t even have to be gone. Just do it on a random Tuesday. Just knowing you will not have to react to everyone that “needs” you, will do wonders for your attitude.
- Take a Staycation. Sometimes we can let things go around the house to the point that it stresses us out just to walk in our own home. Why not take time out to focus on getting those things fixed, organized, moved, tossed, and cleaned, without having to do anything else. When you get back into your normal life, you will feel the difference without those things staring you in the face every time you come home.
- Unplug. I think it goes without saying, but, however you are trying to go from RR to R&R, you MUST turn off your electronics. This doesn’t have to be long term and it doesn’t have to be for the entire time. If you even turn them off for a few hours at a time you will feel a difference. Some people think that their downtime is perusing through Facebook to see what their friends are doing or looking at Pinterest for new projects to complete. However, there is negativity all over social media and the idea of being Rested and Refreshed is removing negativity from your brain and replacing it with positive thoughts about yourself and the world around you.
So, I encourage you to try just one of these things very soon and then plan them into your schedule. Go ahead and get them on your calendar. They are important for you and the people around you. You will feel better and you will be better.
Michelle Froedge is a residential Realtor and Principal Broker in the Greater Nashville and Williamson County areas of Tennessee. “Mom” to four-legged fur baby, Tyler, Auntie to Zelamie, she is a vegetarian and sings in her spare time. Michelle has lived in Nashville and Franklin since 1997 and has been selling homes since 2004.