Singing in the Rain – Or Not!
If you are anywhere near Nashville, TN, you are probably ready to build an ark about now. Rain has a way of making people a little blue and lethargic. And water has a way of doing damage to a house. If you’ve never had water issues, consider yourself lucky. Water can be elusive. You can see where it is ending up but you can’t always see where it’s coming in. Here are some tips on places to look, things to check, and ways to prevent water damage.
Places to look:
- Water heater
- Showers and bathtubs
Things to check:
- Gutters – are they securely attached and draining away from the house?
- Shingles – are there any visible missing shingles or lifted?
- Caulking – is it cracked or missing in or around sinks, tubs, or showers?
- Windows and doors – are there bubbles or chips/flaking in the paint?
- Rust – anywhere rust is present is a sign of moisture.
Ways to prevent:
- Moisture barrier in crawl space
- Ice and water shield on flat portions of roof
- Water alarm for washing machine pan
- French drain
- Landscape and yard elevation/grading
There are plenty of roofing companies, plumbing companies, and HVAC companies that will do inspections to see if you have any areas that are likely to cause water issues and will suggest any needed repairs or preventative measures. Once you have water intrusion, it can be tough to diagnose and repair the damage it may have caused. It is much easier and cost effective to prevent it. So, stay dry and maybe the sun will come out tomorrow!
Michelle Froedge is a residential Realtor and Principal Broker in the Greater Nashville and Williamson County areas of Tennessee. “Mom” to four-legged fur baby, Tyler, Auntie to Zelamie, she is a vegetarian and sings in her spare time. Michelle has lived in Nashville and Franklin since 1997 and has been selling homes since 2004.